- Always inspect and pretest. Note all pre-existing damage. Document and photograph
- Check if the animal hair is rotten. If the hair is rotten, it will come off the skin when
- Is the skin stiff, dry, stained and or cracking?
- Is the fur oxidized (yellowed)? Animal fur is never white, Photograph fur with a white sheet
of paper to show the degree of yellowing in a “before” photo.
- Is the fur matted?
- Do not use solvent; doing so may damage plastic eyes, tongue, teeth etc. and/or dry-out
- Avoid heat both when washing and drying.
- Never use alkaline cleaners, stay on the acid side. We strongly recommend L.S.T.
- Are skins sewn together? Be careful of the stitching.
- Fabric backings must be removed. Quote price for replacement.
- Do not run through duster or Badger.
- Air dust only, or beat face (hair side) with a stick or rug whip on pole, or turn rug upside
down and have four people hold one of each corner and shake.
- Thoroughly flush with water.
- Apply diluted L.S.T. solution and hand brush in over entire piece, both sides.
- Rinse with clean water and use a weighted roller to help flush out soil.
- Use a weighted roller to push soil and shampoo off rug during rinse.
- If using a flat bed washer: (piece can have no head or paws) Run through washer on
padding to prevent pin marks, with no brushes, no soap; only fresh water.
- After ringing or extracting apply diluted (50/50 with water) leather conditioner to skin side.
- Periodically during the drying process, roll skin side with roller to soften skin. Do not
skip this step.
- Do not dry in a Dry Room – NO HEAT
- Dry skin side up with air mover on tack out floor on top of upholstery quilt.
- Reapply leather conditioner and roll to soften skin. Repeat if necessary.
- Groom hair side with a Flokati comb or Grandi Groomer.
- If pelt has yellowing: Spray with diluted “Urine Odor and Stain Remover” (3% hydrogen
peroxide) and place in the sun to dry or use an ultraviolet light (UVA 315 to 400 nm).
Check for color change every 15 minutes. Reapply if needed.
© 2020 by Chem Max. All Rights Reserved.